Rotary Snowplow No. 1
Rotary Snowplow No. 1 was built in 1898 by the Cooke Locomotive and Machinery Company of Paterson, New Jersey for WP&YR.
It helped the railroad face the challenges of heavy winter snows with accumulations of up to 12 feet. Pushed by up to 2 helper engines, the rotary’s 10 huge blades sent snow flying out to the side of the tracks by centrifugal force. It was retired in 1965 but was used as recently as 2001 for a ceremonial clearing of the rails. Rotary Snowplow No. 1 has been restored and can be seen by the Skagway Depot.